11111111111111111111111111111111111

Search this website

Have cans of left over Pumpkin..now what?

Panic Mode! That was me this past October.  I bought 13 cans of canned pumpkin because last year, 2010, there was a shortage.  I love making anything pumpkin, who doesn't. It's a double duty winner, makes the house smell great, and a small effort of mixing ingredients makes for great yummies (is that a word)! 

I received, as a gift, years ago the Jessica Seinfeld Deceptively Delicious cookbook because my youngest wasn't a fan of veggies or fruits.  I was grateful for the gift, seeing my friend knew I was struggling with 'mealtime'.  

Now that he's older, he's more willing to try new foods, but man, it was touch and go there for a while.  I dusted off the cookbook recently because I'm in search of having healthier snacks on hand. As a busy mom, I find I enjoy grabbing a quick snack to hold me over until I can have a meal. If I prepare something healthy ahead of time, I'm better off. I've only got "me" to look out for "me" during the day. 

So, with plenty of canned pumpkin leftover, I decided to try her Donut recipe, with a twist. I'm not an owner of a donut baking mold so I created donut texture muffins instead. Plus, the recipe called for pureed sweet potato, which I did not have, so I substituted more pumpkin. 

Below is the recipe:
Prep Tim - 8 Minutes
Bake Time - 20-25 Minutes
Cool Time - 10 minutes

Preheat Oven to: 350

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup of sweet potato puree (I substituted pumpkin)
1/2 cup nonfat milk, lowfat or 1% buttermilk
1 large egg WHITE
1 tablespoon trans fat free soft tub margarine spread, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cinnamon or pumpkin spice (I used cinnamon)
1/4 cup confectioners's sugar (I didn't have this on hand, so I used sprinkles)

Instructions
In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, pureed items, milk and egg white, margarine, and vanilla.  
Mix in a separate bowl, flour, baking soda & powder, spice
Mix both together on low.

Pour batter into a gallon-sized plastic bag (or pastry bag if you have on) and cut the bottom tip off of one side of the bag. Squeeze the batter through, into the donut hold. **If using a muffing in,just pour an ice cream scoop worth into each greased section. Bake until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. 20-25 minutes.  


When done, cool on a rack. When cool, dust with confectioners' sugar. I happen to have Valentine's Day sprinkles on hand.


Store in an airtight container at room temp. for up to 2 days and freeze for up to a 1 month.



Enjoy!


Did you enjoy this post? Consider becoming apart of our community by subscribing 
HERE to future posts.  



      
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. yum!!! and you can freeze too...great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am growing a love for ahead baking and cooking. :) Enjoy! Have a nice day.

      Delete
  2. I have contemplated getting that book. My oldest is super picky and he is only four. It drives me nuts, but he isn't a skeleton... so he is getting his nutrients somewhere:)

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am going to pin this under my Healthy Yummies to Make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thanks for stopping by and pinning. :) Have a great day.

      Delete

I #heart comments a lot, it keeps my inspired. Thanks for stopping by and commenting....

ShareThis